1. 47
  1.  

  2. 13

    I love it. It’s like Terminus with significantly better curly braces.

    Also, you have slashed zeroes, which is what all correct-thinking people prefer.

    1. 2

      Also, you have slashed zeroes, which is what all correct-thinking people prefer.

      I use a copy of Droid Sans Mono that I edited to have slashed-zeros. I love the font, but without slashed zeros (or even dot-zeros) it’s useless for coding.

      Terminus doesn’t render properly on Windows, which is a shame, As Spleen is a bitmap font, I’m guessing I need .fon versions for Windows ?

      1. 4

        For those that can’t (or don’t want to) edit fonts cosmix.org have a Droid Sans Mono with both dotted and slashed zero varieties.

        Arch users can get it from the AUR

        Powerline version too

        1. 1

          Yes, I think .fon is the required format for bitmap fonts on Windows. I’ve generated some .fon files for all sizes here, but I don’t have access to any Windows machine, so I cannot test them. It would be nice if you could try and report results, thanks!

          1. 1

            Ok I’ve had a go. They don’t render in Windows at all. :( Windows just shows ‘Courier New’ when I preview the files. Looking via HEX viewer, it seems that your .fon files are missing extra (repeated) meta-data that Windows seem to need. Thanks tho!

      2. 6

        I’d like to see screen shots of the lower resolution variants.

        As an aside, does anyone else find the font used for the article to be very hard to read? Can’t quite put my finger on it, but it seems to have too much horizontal spacing or something.

        1. 3

          Yes, I think the horizontal spacing is a little too wide. It seems to be the default spacing for the font that’s being used. If you’re curious about how to change the way it looks, try opening the developer tools and putting this into the Console.

          document.body.style.letterSpacing = "-.04em"
          

          This adds the value you specify to the font default spacing - hence the negative value, to reduce the spacing.

          1. 1

            That does improve things, thanks! Incidentally, the font turns out to be “Work Sans”: https://fontlibrary.org/en/font/work-sans

          2. 2

            I will create a proper site for Spleen with screenshots in various sizes, but meanwhile, here is a screenshot of the 5x8 version.

          3. 3

            I really like this, looks beautiful. I’m bitmap font lover, and have been chasing fonts for a long time, I’m always glad to see new ones.

            1. 2

              Is the name a reference to Spleen et Idéal?

              1. 2

                Pretty close, the poem used in one of the screenshots is “L’etranger” from “Le Spleen de Paris”. But yes, it’s indeed a reference to Baudelaire’s works.

              2. 2

                I kinda expected the font from @fcambus would support Latin Extended-A Unicode page (incl. Polish diacritics) out of the box. And now I’m a bit disappointed… :)

                1. 1

                  Another short term goal is to add support for Central European languages, with Polish being the immediate priority.

                  In case you didn’t read that far ;^)

                  1. 1

                    Mind the :) :)

                2. 2

                  Does anyone know a BDF to PSF (for the Linux console) converter? Both names are so close to PDF it’s impossible to Google. If not, I’m probably about to write my own.

                  1. 2

                    The font editor I use to create Spleen, gbdfed, has an option to export PSF files.

                    1. 1

                      Because I’m dense… The layout displayed in gbdfed gets translated to my local codepage via psfu / the actual glyph names, right?

                      Also, in case people want to try with gbdfed themselves, you need to populate the first 32 codepoints or will get a weird error when trying to load the font and the screen will look bizarre. It seems to shift the codepoints down by 32 if you leave those blank…

                      1. 1

                        Yeah I just tried exporting all the BDFs to PSF and none of them work properly. Either they error out setfont or they fill the screen with garbage.

                    2. 2

                      archlinux has one in aur via the debian thingy usage should be a simple manpage away…

                    3. 2

                      I realize bitmap fonts are super-obscure, but if you’re interested in them, a few months ago I posted a tool to make them easier to create & edit: https://lobste.rs/s/bbnk26/font_problems_command_line_tool_for