Whenever I ssh into a foreign machine, I realize just how much I’m dependent on my configuration files:
- I’ve modified tmux to have more screen-like keybindings;
- I’ve created a number of aliases, path modifications, custom prompts, etc. in my .bashrc;
- My Emacs' init.el is a solid 400 lines of code
- My .gitconfig contains, of course, my name and email, which makes for embarrassing commits if I don’t have them; I also have a few options for diffing, and some useful aliases such as
git co and
- I use vim for quick edits, and my .vimrc is 13 lines; this is the only program in this list that I can use for a long period of time even without my configuration.
Among the tools you use daily, are there any for which you don’t have a configuration file and can use comfortably?