Midweek fun question, welcome to everybody who wants to try something new.
Blank sheet of paper, tabula rasa, fuck POSIX, burn bridges.
You’ve been given the chance to help design a new OS. What sorts of things are you looking for? What new (or stolen) features are going in? What are you looking to avoid? Are you making something that feels like ’nix, or something that has blotter paper in the man pages?
I’m curious what people come up with.
- Let’s limit ourselves to servers and desktops–no microcontollers, no mainframes.
- It’s totally okay to focus only on one particular part of the OS.
- You can be as detailed as you want to be, and aspirational requirements are as worthy in this exercise as running implementations.
- If you want to specify a particular processor architecture, go for it. If you need something that doesn’t exist, suggest it.
- If you cite prior art (say, factotum ) link to it for the enjoyment and edification of others.
- Don’t assume we have to support legacy software or programming languages. At all.
- Asssume we have graphics cards and network cards, and that vendors all found Jesus and decided to cooperate with you on developing firmware and drivers.
- Assume you can’t trust users to be nice to each other, but if you want to break that assumption to make a more interesting/elegant design, just mention it.
- I’m generally interested in more low-level stuff like scheduling, filesystems, messaging, syscall stuff, but if you have a burning desire to talk about using React on top of the NT kernel go for it.
- This shouldn’t need spelling out, but this is meant as a play space for ideas, so don’t be assholes to each other. If you disagree with a design decision, seek clarity and assume the person had a good reason for it. If somebody disagrees with you, assume they’re not trying to dunk on you.
So Lobsters, what’ve you got?
If you’re not going to reply with concrete ideas or suggestions, or if you’re going to talk about how there’s no room for a new OS, or how the effort should be spent elsewhere…please keep it to yourself (or PMs). This is meant to be a thread for those with dreams, madness, hubris, and more than a little mischief in their hearts.