I am trying to compile a list of common reasons why users don’t move from
a big centralized evil™ service to either a self-hosted solution or another
more “freedom friendly” option (say Gitlab.com vs Github.com) or some other
While there are ofcourse common regular reasons like “all my friends use it”,
I wish to collect reasons specific to particular well-known services.
Here is a list of friendly suggestions for answers which could help the
- Post reasons you, or someone you know actually have and not ones you feel
could be one of the possible reasons unless they are clearly applicable.
- Please keep reasons specific to a service and not generic over all
- Feel free to share reasons for more than one service in the same answer.
- Would be super cool if the service you are talking about is well-known
among the average Joe (yeah, like Facebook) and not just devs. It should
however be well-known among atleast one of the either groups.
- Feel free to repeat reasons/services posted by others unless ofcourse they
all are exactly the same.