Rails 4.0 has yet to be released, but since it might be here by Christmas, it’s time to start getting ready.
Some Rails 4.0 features can be used today, and I describe how in the whirlwind tour I recently put together for the Atlanta Ruby Users Group.
Highlights of Rails 4.0:
- Russian Doll Caching (cache_digests)
- ActionController::Live (streaming)
- PATCH verb
- Routing concerns
- Extraction of activeresource
- ActiveRecord::Relation changes and improvements
- Removal of plugin support (not gems; only those that are installed in vendor/plugins)
- Removal of Rails 2 finder syntax
- Deprecation of most dynamic finders
- Deprecation of eager-evaluated scopes