Next, cross the edge and add browser rendering for Content-type: text/markdown :)
I did that already! Gemtext too. Not sure if it is still working, and not sure if it’s still working on chrome (it definitely won’t once mv2 is gone) https://github.com/easrng/txtpage
It doesn’t look like your X-Clacks-Overhead header is actually coming through, at least when requesting the page using curl with HTTP/2.
It would appear that Nginx is not sending it correctly since I changed some cache settings, thanks for the heads up!
Edit: should be fixed. Thanks again.
I love the whimsical nature of the Clacks Overhead project and I’m super delighted people are still using it!
It’s a lovely project, and a nice way to incorporate remembering folks I miss into everyday sysadmin work :)
Amélia’s name is mangled in the response x-clacks-overhead: GNU Natalie Nguyen; GNU Anna Harren; GNU AmÃ©lia Chavot
x-clacks-overhead: GNU Natalie Nguyen; GNU Anna Harren; GNU AmÃ©lia Chavot
Yeah, I’m not sure why this is. The headers are, I think, ISO-8859-1 encoded and should support the diacritic.
Maybe it’s this https://stackoverflow.com/a/4410331 seems like clients do not care about anything not ascii
Aw, dang. Okay, I’ll remove the diacritic and just pretend that France isn’t real.
As the article points out, this is pointless (every request is doing the same work and not caching the result), but it is a really nice tech demo. I wonder what the simplest useful thing you can do with this that you couldn’t do with a static cache. There are trivial things like adding a fetched-date timestamp at the bottom, but for it to really be useful you’d want to add something stateful like the visitors counters that were fashionable in the ‘90s. Neither of those really count as useful, you’d probably want some form of aggregation from multiple data sources. The equivalent of a static site generator that pulls from multiple sources (so there’s no single point where you could decide a new canonical version exists and run the SSG) might be interesting.
Absolutely right, all of this. I actually did add a small dynamic component here: “your provider is…” under the footer. But, I’m looking into some other interesting functionality that uses some of the more advanced features of the Compute@Edge platform, like dynamic backends, that are still in alpha status.