1. 5

Captain Crunch will be facing some very difficult surgery on March 28, 2017 involving 3 incisions, 1 in his side after removal of one of his ribs. 1 in the front of his stomach where they have to move all of his vital organs aside and 1 in his back requiring an 8 inch incision to gain access to his spinal column.

They have to put a “cage” surrounding his discs and add 4 more screws to help support his spine.The surgery will last approximately 9 hours or more, and may involve a second surgery the following week if there isn’t enough time to complete the entire surgery at once.

This extremely complex and dangerous surgery gives Crunch a 50/50 chance of a normal life. A 10% chance he may not recover at all and a 20% chance of becoming permantly paralyzed.

There is 4 to 6 months of recovery and requires significant homecare after he is discharged from the rehab center.

Without this funding, he will not be able to maintain a normal life or care for himself. He will be bedridden most of the time throughout the recovery process.

The Crunchman will have limited access to his computer and if the funding is successful, he will try to arrange a way to access his computer from his bed.

He requires this funding as soon as possible to ensure the appropriate agents are in place to assist him right away.

Further help is required in the form of medical adaptive equipment (ie… Braces, Wheelchair, Walker) additional home safety modifications. These items are NOT covered by his insurance.

If he does NOT proceed with surgery, one of the screws in his spinal column will eventually work its way to his spinal cord leaving him completely paralyzed from the waist down.

  1.  

  2. 1

    This extremely complex and dangerous surgery gives Crunch a 50/50 chance of a normal life. A 10% chance he may not recover at all and a 20% chance of becoming permantly paralyzed.

    Does not add up to 100%

    I flagged this, because regardless of the person involved I don’t think it’s topical for this site. I wish him well, but just not the proper forum for these in my opinion. On another level it disgusts me that healthcare has to get funded in this way.

    1. 5

      Does not add up to 100%

      I interpreted that statement as “There is a 50% chance of normal life, among the remaining 50%, 10% chance that he may not recover at all, 20% of total paralysis, and 30% of non-normal, but less serious than the aforementioned.” That said, it’s not a particularly well-worded statement.

      As for whether or not it belongs here, I’m decidedly indifferent.

      As for the disgust with the healthcare system, I am right there with you.