In the recent story about archive.is on 220.127.116.11 I brought up the request to point the cached link below the story title back at the Internet Archive’s Wayback machine. Responses were limited, and pushcx suggested starting a meta thread. Here’s the text of my proposal:
While we’re at it: can we please switch the cached link to archive.org?
- they are a well funded non-profit
- their archive is open and mirrored elsewhere
- is run by an unknown individual
- with no apparent source of income other than ~$200 a month in donations (a fraction of the cost)
- has not been mirrored anywhere, does not publish an index of archived content and has no intentions of sharing either
- apparently refuses to serve finland (apologies for the subreddit, I was linked there from somewhere else I can’t find again)
There is an old ticket on github (#331), but that was reverted without discussion a few months later.
pushcx: you seem to have implemented that on barnacl.es, can this please also be considered for lobste.rs again? I’m happy to submit the PR.
I’d like to gather some feedback about that issue from a wider crowd of crustaceans here.