I am particularly interested in forks of abandoned projects and forks that diverged from upstream, but I would love to hear any and all war stories.
Answer in any manner you’d like, but here are some sub-questions I’m interested in:
- Why did you decide to fork in the first place? Did you have a choice?
- What were the best parts of maintaining a fork?
- What were the worst parts?
- Did you change the fork significantly? Was that by choice?
- If you forked from an active project, did you keep up to date with upstream?
- If you were to start over, what would you do differently?